Man dies in custody - Villagers besiege police station

Bangladesh on 04 February 2014
Location : Bangladesh | Source : New Age Bd. Image Source: Flickr User Oscalito

Angry villagers on Monday laid siege to a police station and clashed with police following the death of a man in custody of Shibpur police in Narsingdi.

The villagers alleged that the man detained in a theft case was beaten to death as he refused to pay money to police for his release.
Police, however, denied the allegation and said it was a case of suicide.

The deceased was identified as Mohsin Mia, 30, a mason and resident of village Barigaon under the upazila.

The victim’s family alleged that police arrested Mohsin early on the day in a burglary case and later tortured him to death as he refused to give money for his release.  

However, police claimed that Mohsin committed suicide at the police station. 

Mohsin’s father Sultan Mia said that some numbers of the police from Shibpur station raided their house around 2:30am, led by the station 
inspector (investigation) Moniruzzaman, and picked him up in a burglary case. 

Police demanded Tk 50,000 for his release, he said. 

As Mohsin denied giving the money, police forcibly tried to take confessional statement from him and beat him indiscriminately, leaving him dead in their custody, said Sultan.

As the news spread in the village, hundreds of people cordoned the police station, demanding punishment of the policemen who killed Mohsin.

On information, additional police forces, led by additional superintendent of police Shahnewaj, rushed to the area and chased the villagers.

They chased each other and police charged batons on the villagers, leaving at least 10 people injured. 

Officer-in-charge of the station Mizanur Rahman said Mohsin and others were accused of robbery committed at Barigaon Everest Cable Industry on January 19. 

He claimed that Mohsin killed himself by hanging from the ceiling after the arrest. 

Mohsin’s wife Lucky said her husband was innocent.

On information executive magistrate Kamrun Nahan recovered the body and sent it to Narsingdi sadar hospital morgue for autopsy. 

Sadar hospital doctor Shital Chowdhury said, ‘After receiving the viscera report, we will say if it is suicide or killing.’

Post Comment
0 comment(s)
No Comment added yet.

join the network

Sign Up to our Newsletter

To subscribe to our quarterly newsletter simply add your email.